A sluggish drain is one of the signs that there is a partial blockage in your pipe. If the blockage is not too severe, then you’ll be happy to know that the situation will not merit a call out for drain services Dublin. At least, not yet. It becomes an emergency plumbing situation when your sink stops draining completely.
There are a few things you can do to try unblock your sink yourself. Here’s what you can do as soon as you notice a sluggish drain:
- Pour down steaming hot water to loosen the grease build-up.
- If water remains in the sink, there may be some objects blocking the drain.
- To find out, open and remove the sink stopper or strainer to see if the clog is near the sink.
- If the other drains have similar sluggish flow, focus your attention to the main drain.
- With caution pour in a drain cleaner or use a snake plunger to remove the clog to try clear the drain.
Before you ask yourself “Is there a drain plumber near me?”, it’s always worth trying to unblock the drain yourself.
How to Use a Plunger when Clearing a Drain
Before searching the Internet for drain repairs Dublin, it’s worth trying to use a plunger to attempt to unclog the blockage. Plungers are often effective tools for clearing a simple blockage in a drain. However, some users tend to apply it incorrectly by pumping several times, keen to see water to flush down instantly. It does not take an expert to use this simple tool, but with a few home plumbing tips to guide you, it can perform its best function.
- Choose the appropriate plunger with the right size of suction cup to cover the drain completely.
- Pour enough water into the clogged drain but ensure the water doesn’t overflow.
- Apply petroleum jelly around the plunger cup for a tight seal.
- Place wet rags to block off other water outlets e.g. the overflow from the sink.
- Insert the plunger at the right angle to make sure no air is trapped.
- Hold the plunger upright and pump with forceful strokes vigorously.
- Repeat the process until the clog is finally removed.
As you can see, clearing drains is easy when you have the right tools and a bit of know-how. What, though, if you don’t have the luxury of time to get the job done on your own?
Fortunately, budget emergency plumbing services are available in the Dublin area. In fact, 24 Hour Plumber have a host of Dublin city plumbers who can provide high quality drain services throughout Dublin.
If you are having problems with sluggish drains, we have experienced, qualified, and highly trained drainage engineers to unblock your drain. No matter what time of day you call, an emergency 24 hour plumber will be deployed to perform the emergency service.
You can rest assured that our experienced emergency plumbers know what they are doing, are certified to perform the job at hand, and will get the job done right away. Most importantly, they understand the value of time; so, they will only go to your home at a time that’s most convenient to you.
There is always an operator to answer the phone for an emergency call-out service. Give us a call on (01) 531 2220 or 085 855 6111 so we can give you a free estimate. Alternatively, you may visit our website and send us a message through the contact form on our “Contact Us” page.